Godly Friends to Encourage
Life has been very abusive of late. The last several weeks, perhaps made worse in part because of the holidays, I have been “magnifying” fear instead of “magnifying the Lord” by faith.
Still, God was gracious to intervene – in this case with the patient and persevering counsel of a couple godly friends who kept pointing me back to truth. Here are some of their encouragements:
- Sometimes surrounding yourself with endless preaching and reading of “Christian” books and even devouring Scripture ~ this can be so much self-righteous beating your head against a brick wall! [Not to diminish the Word! This was said for my sake, because I tend to go overboard on all that “doing” ~ Yes, the Word is the SWORD, but I am more apt to wield it as a battering ram – perhaps especially on myself – rather than letting the LORD wield it as a scalpel, applied with grace-filled anesthetic ;).]
- You really need to be singing Praise and Worship! ~ like when Israel would call on the Musicians before going into battle, and the LORD wins the victory. It invites the presence of God into your experience and necessarily puts you in a place to “fix your eyes on Christ.”
- If there are no physical explanations, as yet, have you considered the possibility that you’re under “attack” spiritually? and/or making yourself sick because you’re not fighting the fight of FAITH?
- If you’re so full of self-preservation and frustration/anger, how can you expect to lovingly pray as you ought? Selfishness and selflessness cannot live together in the same space!
- You need to REST. You need to KEEP the Sabbath ~ that means rest IN it. It takes *humility* to stop and even just sleep ~ it means you’re not always in control, and God likes to remind you of that so you trust HIM completely.
- Stop trying to “figure everything out!” You aren’t meant to; that’s why we are to be LED by the Spirit! And how can you HEAR him if every quiet space in your life is filled up with DOING?
- You are MORE than a conqueror in Christ! Like Ali, when he would win a major fight, and he’d go home with the prize money, and Mrs. Ali would say Thank you! and put the money in the bank? SHE was MORE than a conqueror! ~ Ali fought the fight, but SHE got the spoils of his victory!
These are all still percolating. 🙂