Two Faced? ~ part 4
Only 3 observations, today:
1) In continuing this journey, I find it worth adding in to the discussion, particularly to the “two points” at the end of the previous post – CLINGING to the Word of God, that is the ACT of BELIEVING God for his promises, is inextricably wrapped up in OBEYING his Word. So I am not by any means simply talking about the power of positive thinking, but actually taking God at his Word, and DOING what he says.
Most recently I have been spending much time in the Gospel of John, and this is Jesus’ repeated theme – that he has come as the WORD of God, to REVEAL the Father, and to do so by SPEAKING only what the Father would have him speak, by SAYING what the Father would have him say. In the other Gospels, you see much more of what Jesus said as far as holiness, right living, etc. In John, written later than the other 3 books, it’s clear John’s purpose is to drive home the point that JESUS reveals the Father, and that we receive the WORD of God by DOING what he says….
2) Also, the Lord brought home to my mind 2 verses that have been very DEFINING for me in the past few years, and it was as if in reminding me of these verses again, he was bringing clarity back into a lot of what has emerged as confusion throughout this particular “Two Faced?” journey which has now been going on several weeks.
- What does God require of me? See Micah 6:8 ~ “He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God?”
- What do I have to offer God? See Psalm 19:14 ~ “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer.”
What can I do? a) DO JUSTLY, b) LOVE MERCY, and c) WALK HUMBLY WITH MY GOD
And as to whatever “whole” of me there is, I think this a) WORDS OF MY MOUTH and b) MEDITATIONS OF MY HEART has to be about the best distinguishing of my internal and external worlds I’ve ever encountered.
3) Lastly, I have had a “chance” conversation with my roommate who happens also to be an Occupational Therapist by vocation, and a few phrases in to what started as a very normal, giggly conversation about our various quirks, of which I had many, her tone changed, and she began to speak about my vocalized frustrations with myself as not mere “quirks” but, in fact, actual “symptoms” of a condition of which I have never even heard.
She turned immediately to some of her own medical resources, and we got online, and within minutes, she was reading to me lists of symptoms associated with this condition that became glaring sirens in my ears, as if lighthouses suddenly lit up along the shoreline bringing the horizon of the approaching continent into full view, and I’ve only begun to “connect the dots.” Undoubtedly I will have more to say on this in coming days, but I am VERY confident this discovery is some of the fruit of the Lord’s work in my heart and mind over the past several weeks, even years, as I’ve been trying to dig deeper, and learn to be led by his Spirit as a “true son” (see Romans 8). It makes sense out of a LOT of what has otherwise been shrouded in mystery even in my own memory.
There is definitely a spiritual reality to many of my struggles and inconsistencies; I am not by any means minimizing this. If anything, for those of you who know me, I’m far more apt to OVER emphasize this reality. But I think the Lord may also have finally unlocked for me the main physical snag of my “stuck zipper” analogy from a couple posts ago.
If you are reading this, would you pray with me for discernment and clarity and direction as I begin to seek out solutions in a HOPEFUL, and tangible way?
TO BE CONTINUED: